Thursday 1 March 2012

Review: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars I was given this book by my flatmate, well I say given; I found it upon my dining room table with a note eagerly stating "SOMEONE READ THIS!". Of course me being the avid book reader took one look at the lovely worded title (It sounds so pretty!) and thought this book sounds amazing just from reading the title. There was no blurb on the book because it was a hardback and somehow the protective cover had been misplaced, so I googled the book and found what I was looking for.

The book follows 16 year old Hazel, who sadly has incurable cancer. She accepts she is going to die earlier than others but is on a drug that keeps the cancer at bay, thought has to walk around with an oxygen tank. She goes to a support group each week, one week she meets a guy; Augustus Waters who is in remission. They basically fall in love and everything changes for them both good and bad.

I normally don't go for books that will make me cry, in fact I avoid them, but for some reason I just had to read this book. I am glad I did: the book will have a lasting effect upon how I think about life and enjoying the little things that life brings. The book is not all doom and gloom throughout, but its running theme is cancer and how Hazel, her family & Augustus deal with normal life and live a life as teenagers. Its hilarious in some parts, and I especially love how the characters are cynical and really mature for their age.


You will cry, you will laugh and you will hate having to read the last page.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment