Saturday 3 September 2011

2 books = two reviews!


Since my last post (August 8th, bad Nichola!) I have read three books, but one of these i will post about next week :) So keep you eyes peeled!
The books I will be reviewing today are: Dead Until Dark by Charline Harris & 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

Lets start with Dead Until Dark, since I have just watched Season 4 Episode 11 of True Blood so it only seems fitting. I started reading the True Blood books only because I am such a huge fan of the TV Series and thought why have i not read the books before? So off I went on Amazon Kindle Store and bought the book (£4.99).
If you haven't

heard of True Blood or haven't read/watched it before the storyline revolves around Sookie Stackhouse and her little town of Louisiana, Vampires have recently 'came out the coffin' meaning they have revealed themselves to the world, you learn that Sookie isn't normal (no she isn't a vampire!!!), she befriends a vampire (Bill) and meets other along the way.
The story is very dark and sometimes frightening in places, but i think the TV series is much darker and sexier than the books.

I personally did not enjoy reading this book, I think its because i have watched the TV series and therefore i had high expectations for the book which weren't met. I was slightly annoyed to find that one of the main characters in the TV show is murdered in the first few chapters, and some plot lines that were extended in Season 1-2 only lasted 5ish chapters and didn't give me that thrill the TV show provided.

However what i personally liked was that it was from Sookies perspective, so we get to hear what she thinks, feels, and sees. So we get to be Sookie in the story rather than an outsider :)

I'm going to give this book a 3/5.


Next book is 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.
13 Reasons Why is a gripping and heart wrenching novel following Clay Jensen who one day finds a set of cassette tapes with his name on it lying on his porch. The cassettes are recorded by Hannah Baker- his school friend who recently committed suicide. On these tapes she explains 13 reasons why she took her own life, Clay being one of them.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this book, so much so that it only took me a day to read it. I liked that we get two views of suicide as its a double narrative of Hannah talking to her chosen 13 through the tapes, and Clay who commented on what she said, sometimes admitting he should of helped.
This is classed as a teen novel as it deals with teenagers at school and their issues they face everyday. I think anyone any age would enjoy this novel because obviously everyone has been to school and probably faced some issues she faced (hopefully not the one at the party), which i liked because i can remember some key events in my life that shaped how i am today.

Suicide is a big issue that people shy away from, its seen as a taboo subject. But this book breaks the mould and provides the perspective of both sides- why someone considers/commits suicide and how it affects others. I love books like this that challenge the reader and it made me think, and i do believe it has changed my perspective on suicide and why people do consider it.

I think this book is a love it or hate it book. But I loved it and as such will be giving it a 5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment